Last updated August 23, 2021
COVID-19 PROTOCOLS & CONTROL MEASURES
We have always prioritized the safety of our families and staff, and in these uncertain times, this is no different. As you know, our COVID-19 protocols and control measures can and will likely change in accordance with the Government’s Public Health Orders. We will share any changes with you here. We reserve the right to refuse service to people who are not respecting the rules.
For the 2021 Fall Term, we will only be allowing adults who are fully vaccinated (QR code or Government issued proof required, for e.g., military yellow card) to enter our facility to view classes & participate in parented classes. We will be increasing our viewing lounge capacity for parented classes, stay tuned for details. This is a temporary change in our facility. The pandemic is not yet over, and the majority of our clients are not eligible for the COVID-19 vaccine – it is our duty to protect them & do our part to prevent a possible 4th lockdown with a looming 4th wave.
1. Facility Entrance Time: the earliest you can enter the facility is 10 minutes before your class starts. The front door will be locked. Please try to come with bathing suits on under clothes to lessen the time spent in the facility.
2. Viewing Lounge: We are allowing 1 viewer per student - please note only fully vaccinated adults are allowed to enter the building. For parented classes this means that one fully vaccinated adult can view the class in addition to the adult accompanying the baby/toddler in the water.
3. Physical Distancing
Facility – maintain physical distancing except for brief exchanges as per Government recommendations. Please avoid lingering in communal areas (e.g., vestibule, showers, lobby, etc.).
Pool – our Health Inspector has informed us that during a 30-minute lesson, you can have up to a maximum of 15 minutes of closer contact. Our teachers have been trained to keep their distance and there will also be some instances where closer contact will happen. All classes are scheduled on 10 minute staggered starts to help with distancing, and the pool will be roped off into class sections.
Class Mustering Points – signage on deck will identify where classes will meet. All baby/toddler classes will meet in front of the Viewers Lounge windows, and all other classes will be in one of the corners of the pool (look for your class sign). Our friendly lifeguards and teachers will be on hand to assist you if needed.
4. Masks: masks are mandatory in our facility. Students cannot wear a mask in the pool as it is a safety issue. All our staff will be wearing plastic water-appropriate masks. Adults in parented classes will be provided with a plastic water-appropriate mask for an optional donation to the Children’s Hospital Foundation. Donate online at our fundraising page: http://chfm.convio.net/goto/h2oacademy. Food and drink are not allowed in the building due to mask requirements. Please eat/drink outside.
5. Hygiene: upon entry, please use the hand sanitizer located in the lobby. We have hand sanitizers mounted to the walls and several Lysol wipe stations throughout our facility. There are 3 sinks in the washroom area for hand washing.
6. Building Cleaning and Sanitation: enhanced cleaning and sanitation will occur by H2O staff and we’ve also hired a professional cleaning service. Blow-dryers are not allowed in the facility due to COVID-19.
7. Water Sanitation & Disinfection: pool environments are a relatively safe environment because of how the water is treated – chlorine inactivates viruses. Our pool is disinfected using chlorine with an enhanced UV disinfection system– the latest in commercial pool technology. You’ll notice that you won’t smell chlorine in our pool because it’s properly balanced. The “chlorine” smell is not due to chlorine, but chloramines that build up in the pool water when it is improperly treated. We also get the question about salt water vs. chlorine pools a lot… did you know that saltwater pools generate chlorine? This means that saltwater pools are not chlorine free: 2NaCl (salt) + 2H2O →2NaOH + H2 + Cl2 (chlorine).
8. If you’re sick, stay home: stay home if anyone in your household has been in contact with or shows symptoms, is sick, or if public health has contacted you. Missed classes are non-refundable. We completely understand that having to pay for one or two missed classes can be irritating, but our costs remain the same whether everyone is present or not. Therefore, H2O Academy is under no obligation to refund or transfer your money if you can’t attend part, or all, of the classes.
9. 16 months without lessons… we’ve instructed our teachers to ease into things and err on the side of caution as most students have been out of the pool for 16 months and many will have regressed. During the first class, teachers will be obtaining baseline data for all students which may appear not as challenging as you may expect. Please be patient and trust the process.
10. What if there’s another shutdown? we will contact all families if this happens and inform every one of the plans. Fees will be prorated, and credit will be issued for all missed classes post-closure. If a refund is requested, there is a $25 cancellation fee.
1. What to Bring: please review our handbook for what to bring (you will need a towel, bathing suit, lock for locker, indoor shoes/sandals, goggles if you want them, etc.). Please note that babies and toddlers must wear swim diapers under their bathing suit. You can purchase reusable and disposable diapers at our H2O Store or in the diaper section at your local retailer.
2. Facility Tour: you won’t need a facility tour like we used to provide at the Winter Club as there is a lot of signage that will point you in the right direction. Check out our quick facility tour below!
A few facility items we want to highlight:
No outdoor shoes are allowed in the facility, there is storage in the front vestibule.
A diaper genie is in the washroom areas for diaper disposal.
No nudity in facility (except for private change rooms).
Shower is Rinse & Go style and is located on deck – no shampoo/conditioner, no nudity. Please keep your plastic mask on in the shower (cloth masks cannot get wet).
Only 1 fully vaccinated viewer per student.
Masks are mandatory.
Ample parking in front lot.
3. Equipment: we provide all class equipment except for goggles so there is no need to bring your own equipment unless you’d like to use goggles. All H2O families receive a 20% discount at Swimming Matters – let them know you’re with H2O to receive your discount. As mentioned above, chlorine inactivates viruses.
4. Fall Registration: opens on August 23rd at 3:00 pm. All registration is done online through your account.
If you have any questions, please reach out to us. Please keep in mind, the response time might be a little longer as our email and call volume is extremely high due to our backlog from March 2020. Our families have always been the heart of our business, and we’re grateful for your ongoing support. Thank you in advance for your cooperation and please do not ask us to break the rules, we can’t afford to be fined or shut down by the Government. We are extremely excited to welcome back our families and meet all the new ones… see you at the pool!
“It takes a village,” and we are confident that the H2O Academy Community can work together to create a safe environment for our families.
Frequently asked questions
Do we have to wear masks in the pool?
No. Masks will be compulsory inside our new facility, but are not be worn in the water. Our teachers will be wearing water appropriate PPE while teaching.
I have 2 kids in classes, can my 4 year old wait on the pool deck by themselves for their class while I'm in the water with my baby?
No, for safety reasons all children under the age of 12 must be accompanied by an adult in our new facility. It is not the lifeguard's or swim teacher's responsibility to supervise children who are not actively participating in a class. Due to COVID-19 restrictions we will have limited capacity, however we will be allowing one adult caregiver per child.
Can I get a credit or refund due to reasons related to COVID-19?
At anytime, families can request a credit that will never expire! If your situation requires you to request a refund, please email us and we can do so. We really appreciate all of the families that have supported us during this difficult time.
Do you sell gift certificates?
Yes! We hope you will consider supporting local business and give the gift of swimming this holiday season with an H2O gift certificate! You can purchase them online for yourself or as a gift for someone through your account here!